Launch URL in Default Browser using C#
After deploying an application using the standard way of launching a URL in the default browser:
We found that almost randomly, an exception is thrown on certain user's machines when this method is called. I did some research and a couple of interesting posts came up.
This describes the seeminly random exception in more detail. It turns out that the "System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception was unhandled" exception can actually occur when you have Firefox as your default browser but you have not run Firefox yet. So he recommends you just catch this exception and ignore it.
This goes into more detail on why the error occurs and provides a secondary / fail-safe to get a browser launched no matter what error occurs.
I've taken the code from these 2 articles and refactored it a bit into a method that will attempt every way possible to launch a browser with the URL specified.
public void OpenLink(string sUrl)
// System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception is a known exception that occurs when Firefox is default browser.
// It actually opens the browser but STILL throws this exception so we can just ignore it. If not this exception,
// then attempt to open the URL in IE instead.
if (exc1.GetType().ToString() != "System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception")
// sometimes throws exception so we have to just ignore
// this is a common .NET bug that no one online really has a great reason for so now we just need to try to open
// the URL using IE if we can.
System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo = new System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo("IExplore.exe", sUrl);
startInfo = null;
catch (Exception exc2)
// still nothing we can do so just show the error to the user here.
- Global.asax Events in IIS 6 and IIS 7 for Static Resources
- Clustered Index vs. Non-Clustered Index in SQL Server
- GridView ObjectDataSource LINQ Paging and Sorting
- Getting Started with Microsoft Chart Controls for ASP.NET 3.5
- Get the list of ODBC data source names programatically using C#
- Add a Composite Control to the Visual Studio Toolbox
- Is it support for both 32 and 64bit os
1 week 2 days ago
- CONFIGURE FTP SERVER ON WINDOWS 2003 SERVER
2 weeks 19 hours ago
- I like it whenever people get
2 weeks 3 days ago
- visit for free xbox gold codes
2 weeks 4 days ago
- Sports369 Agen Judi dan Bandar Bola Casino Online Terbaik
3 weeks 5 days ago
- Nice post thnx
4 weeks 7 hours ago
- Where To write code
4 weeks 11 hours ago
- Thanks for the info, maybe I
4 weeks 20 hours ago
- Free Html To Pdf Converter for .NET
4 weeks 1 day ago
- If some one needs to be
5 weeks 1 day ago